On the 10th July 1952, Michael McGettigan opened his Butcher Shop in premises on the Diamond, Donegal Town, that were leased from a Mr Andrew Begley (where Begley’s Pharmacy now stands). Behind the counter at 9am on that opening day was Ms Minnie McGahern who, by purchasing three lamb chops for half-a-crown, became Michael’s first customer. In 1954, Michael moved to their present-day location.
60 years on the wall in McGettigan’s Butchers is covered with numerous Gold Medal awards including an amazing Five times Supreme Champion Award in the Associated Craft Butchers Sausage Competition of Ireland!
Now McGettigans have added another trophy to their prestigious silverware collection after taking the title of “European Champions” for their all time favourite Hickory and Maple Sausage. The award was presented at a ceremony in Alençon, Normandy, in November 2011.The family are delighted to be adding this European Champion’s Award to their already prestigious silverware collection!